8 Guiding Principles from an Intuitive Counsellor
Being a parent is one of the most challenging, exciting and rewarding decisions that anyone can make. Yet, parents are often unprepared for the frustrations, disappointments and stress that come from being a parent. Remembering the following guiding principles will help you embrace the joys of parenthood as well as to accept the challenges.
1. Effective parenting is a learned skill. Taking parenting courses is a great way to learn healthy parenting and coping skills.
2. People parent their children in a similar manner to which they were parented. You get to choose how you want to connect and interact with your children. It may or may not be in the same way your parents interacted with you.
3. All learned behavior, ways of interacting and ways of communicating can be unlearned.
4. Negative and self -limiting thoughts, ideas, and patterns can be changed, cleared and replaced with more positive thoughts, ideas and supportive patterns.
5. There is no such thing as “perfect” parent or a “best” way to parent. Some parenting styles are more effective depending on the desired outcome. There is no “right” or “wrong” way to parent.
6. Conscious parenting requires an ability to change, grow, and be vulnerable, open, human and forgiving.
7. Each and every child is unique. Each and every parent is unique.
8. Children need love, support, choices, acceptance, respect, clear communication, and healthy guidelines.
Sandra Couts MSN, RN, CHTP is an Intuitive Counselor and Healing Touch Practitioner at THE WOMB: THE WORLD OF MY BABY™. She incorporates her training as a Certified Parent Coach into her counseling sessions. She values the important role that mothers and fathers have on impacting the lives of their children in a positive and healthy way.