As far back as history is recounted, women attended women in childbirth. They provided a ministry of education to young women about their bodies, having children and healthy pregnancies. Childbearing women relied on their close-knit community of women to assist them in labour, birth and early care of their children. Today we call this childbirth professional a doula.
- labour coaches
- support partners for moms and their partners
- great listeners
- the partner's back pocket step-by-step guide book
- believe in the process of birth and the impact it has on parenting
- trust a women's instincts
- acknowledge the power of birth
- recognize birth is a non-medical event unless a woman asks for assistance for her or her baby
- understand that the fewer people interrupting the birth process, the quicker the birth
- do not impose our own thoughts and beliefs
- know that the birthing woman's partner is the most important team member, if that is right for the couple
Our team of Birth Doulas provide consistent, open hearted and experienced support to families in Toronto, Mississauga, Oakville, Milton, Burlington, Brampton and the regions of Peel and Halton. This is what you can expect from your support:
2-3 prenatal visits with your doula to cover:
- Communicating and putting your birth preferences/wishes in writing
- Review comfort, relaxation and pain coping practices
- Identifying and working with your fears
- An invitation to our Childbirth Without Fear workshop
- Assistance with preparing your home for baby
- Advocating for yourself and how to get information
- A prenatal breastfeeding class with your lactation consultant (IBCLC) to learn effective breastfeeding techniques, current research and screen for any possible challenges*
- Phone, email, text support
- Shared doula care and back up support
- Dedicated 24/7 on call labour and birth support
- Early labour support at home (when applicable)
- Dedicated, continuous support throughout your labour and birth from home to your place of birth (hospital or home).
- Physical, emotional and informational support, comfort, encouragement and guidance that may include but is not limited to: visualization, total body relaxation, breath awareness, hydrotherapy, hot and cold compress, massage and counter pressure, use of the birthing ball, use of positions, Hypnobirthing®, aromatherapy, acupressure, rebozo, use of TENS Unit
- Advocacy for your birth wishes
- Photography (if requested)
- Immediate assistance with breastfeeding and baby care
2-3 postpartum visits with your doula
- A visit with your doula within the first week home with your baby
- Assistance with understanding your baby's cues and caring for him/her
- Regular phone and email contact and support for the first month
- A birth story/notes/journal for your baby
*Additional Breastfeeding Support - Birth doula clients may purchase the Prenatal Breastfeeding Class for only $50 at the time of agreement (regular price $75)
A Postnatal Doula is an expert in postnatal family support and baby care. She understands the transitions parents and siblings make when adding a new baby or babies to the family. Her role is to ease this transition for all and assist in resolving challenges. Our team of Postnatal Doulas provide consistent, open hearted and experienced support to families in Toronto, Mississauga, Oakville, Milton, Burlington, Brampton and the regions of Peel and Halton.Mothers and families ask us to:
- Teach me how to soothe my crying baby
- Provide me with food and hydration so I can care for my baby
- Support my breastfeeding efforts and help me problem solve
- Show me how to operate my breast pump
- Help me get my baby to sleep better at night
- Allow me time to nap by taking care of the daily household chores
- Help me keep the house organized so that I feel less stress
- Teach me about my amazing newborn and stand by me as I learn
- Show me how to Go Green for our baby(ies) future
- Help me avoid Postpartum Depression
- Help me look after my other children so that they feel engaged and can adjust to their new sibling AND so I have time to bond with my baby
- Encourage me by telling me over and over that I'm doing fine!
THE WOMB provides in-home care and support unique to the needs of your family after the birth of your baby or babies. Day and overnight care is available.
Your doula support may start before your baby(ies) are born or any time after.
Our goal is to increase your parenting confidence and provide you with the tools and skills to be on your own.
"There are no perfect parents, just perfect parenting intentions".
The first step is setting up a free no-obligation ‘meet and greet’ to answer your questions about doula support and ensure a great fit for your family. Meetings can be arranged for in your home or at THE WOMB.
The WOMB rents Aquaborn Professional Birth Pools!
These pools are the highest quality inflatables available on the market and made from strong, durable eco-vinyl. 6 handles give more position choices than ever before, and a white non-slip bottom ensures optimum safety and visibility.
Professional Pool Specifications:
A Little Deeper!
To achieve bouyancy in water and allow easy movement between positions, 21" of water depth is required. We know you will want to move around and assume positions which bring your body out of the water. To aid this we have made the Aquaborn Eco Birth Pool a little deeper so that your waist can stay in the water even when you want to lean over the pool. This is perfect for a birth position where it is important to keep your pelvis in the water.
The six handles provide assistance in ALL birth Positions
The Aquaborn Eco Birth Pool has six handles that are optimally placed to assist in all birth positons. The two on top allow backward leaning, squatting and pushing positions while allowing the midwife to get closer to the expectant mother if needed. The two on the sides provide assistance in forward leaning and bracing. The two internal handles provide assistance in moving from one position to another, reclining and forward leaning.
The vertical anti-deflate beams
The Aquaborn Eco Birth Pool has unique beams that will deflate very slowly and equally, in the unlikely event of a puncture. This gives the mother plenty of time to exit the pool safely and the water to be removed before any spillage occurs.
The top deflation ring
The top ring is inflated and deflated in seconds to allow easier access to the pool if required.
Eco, Calm and Green
The pool is made from environmentally friendly eco vinyl which is safe for everyone, even when heated. It’s comfortable and no extra padding is required. The Aquaborn Eco Birth Pool provides the perfect calm and safe environment to help you through your labor and birth. Being calm is an important part of helping your labor progress more quickly.
The Strongest Inflatable Birth Pool.
We have tested some other brands of inflatable birth pools for strength, resilience and functional use, and the Aquaborn Eco Birth Pool wins hands down. The walls are strong enough to support both you and your partner, and the the unique placement of handles and extra comfort means this is the most diverse pool available for water birth.
Fast Inflating, Fast Filling!
The pool can be inflated in just 6 minutes with A/C inflator. Filling the pool with water will of course depend on you water pressure and availability of hot water. It takes on average 35 – 45 mins to fill the pool.
Rental includes: 1 liner, a heat retaining lid, and an outer cover, hose (drinking water standard), and net are included with each pool. If available, included at no extra cost, are the rental of a water pump, air pump and under pool tarp. The pool, lid, and liners are all pthalate free. $250 + HST